When taken in the right amounts, wine has shown to have several health benefits. There aren’t a lot of us who don’t enjoy wine. Some of us love wine so much that we like collecting them. As a wine collector you need to have a perfect place to keep the stored. After all good wines come with an expensive price tag. Different kinds of wine need temperature settings. And you cannot store them in the traditional fridge because then it becomes too cold.
Storing them in room temperature is also not advised because wines should stay chilled. This where you need a wine chiller or a wine cooler. If you are a wine connoisseur you need to invest in a wine cooler.
You’ll Also Like:
- Best Kitchen Knives – Best Home Chef Knives
- Top 10 Electric Pan – Best Indoor Electric Pans Reviewed!
- Best Stove Top Rice Cooker – Stove Top Rice Cookers Reviewed!
What is a wine cooler?
Wine coolers or wine chillers are small refrigerators that offers the right space and conditions for storing wine. They maintain a steady temperature which is not possible in a fridge because we keep opening the fridge a number of times during the day. Also a fridge stores different food items which could contaminate your wine.
What are the basics of buying a wine cooler?
You can get the basics right by considering the following features –
- Bottle count – think about the number of bottles you will be storing and double the number because it’s most likely that the number is going to grow if you love drinking wine.
- Quality lining – Wine coolers that have aluminum-lined interiors perform better since it conducts colder. Stay away from the cheaper models that use plastics for lining the interior
- Roll out shelves – The budget-friendly options have fixed chrome wire shelves whereas the expensive models feature wooden shelves. Whatever be the material we suggest that you buy a wine cooler that has roll out racks for easy handling
- Doors – Make sure that the cooler you buy has a door with UV protection. Otherwise, the chances of wine getting spoiled is higher.
- Vibrations – The cooling of the fridges is due to the working of compressors. And these components vibrate. But long term vibration can spoil the wine. So pick a model that has minimum shaking.
Wine coolers are of different types based on their features and design. Before we dig into the best wine coolers let’s take a look at the different types.
What are the different types of wine coolers?
1. Single Zone Cooling
Wine chillers with single zone cooling feature only a single cooling space and a single temperature setting. This model is perfect for those who are getting started with wine. You can use these type of coolers only to store one kind of wine at a time.
2. Dual-Zone Cooling
When you are growing your wine collection you will need a dual zone wine cooler. As the name suggests it offer dual spaces for storing different types of wine. These models are a little more expensive than the single zone coolers.
3. Built-In Wine Coolers
These are the same as built-in refrigerators. You can include them smoothly with your kitchen cabinets to give your kitchen a more sophisticated or classy look. Great for those you like a contemporary set up in their bar or kitchen.
If you are not sure about your first wine chiller, we suggest that you begin with the basic single zone model. They are not very pricey and can be used as a demo to see how far you love for wine goes . . . If you have already figured out which model to invest in let’s take you through the top 10 wine coolers that we have curated based on customer ratings.
OUR REVIEW OF THE TOP 10 WINE COOLERS BY COOLER TYPES
REVIEWS AND BEST PICKS (BY COOLER TYPE)
Our review of the best wine coolers are based on their type and size as follows –
- Single-Zone Coolers
- Dual-Zone Coolers
- Built-In Coolers
- Big Coolers(100+ Bottles)
Single Zone Wine Coolers
1. WHYNTER THERMOELECTRIC
- Additional UV ray protection for wines. The cooler has a tinted and transparent glass door which prevents the alteration of wine quality
- Desirable size. The cooler has a good capacity as far as countertop coolers are concerned
- Wide temperature range. You can store all types of wines due to this feature
- Rearrange-able shelves. The shelves can be moved and rearranged so that you can store bigger bottles.
- Accurate temperature setting. The cooler maintains the temperature with great precision. You can test this by using a thermometer inside this wine cooler.
- Door opens in only one direction. Not a big problem but it limits the storage options for the cooler
- It does not come with a lock.
The Whynter Thermoelectric cooler displays a simple yet elegant design. The features are very impressive; it has an easy to operate control system which makes use of ultra-quiet thermoelectric cooling. The temperature settings have a wide range which makes it a perfect cooler for lover of all kinds of wines such as red, white and dessert wines. It is also energy-efficient.
2. AVANTI EWC1021
- The Avanti wine cooler is affordable compared to other brands in the same category. It offers an excellent value for money.
- The controls are user-friendly and can be operated through a digital display
- The design is very appealing and attractive. It features a platinum finish and a concave door which gives it a contemporary look
- This wine cooler is vibration-free. It uses a thermoelectric cooling system which makes it function quietly. Thus the sediments in the wine stay undisturbed
- The shelves are removable and adjustable
- This wine cooler is very compact and so it saves a lot of storage space.
- The bottom three shelves are not removable and stand in one piece.
- You can only store 750 ml bottles. It cannot store the 1.5 litre champagne bottles
The Avanti EWC1021 is a 12-bottle cooler. You can store four bottles vertically and eight of them horizontally. The cooler is slim and tall; which allows you to store all the bottles in a little space. You can also keep tabs on the internal temperature and make temperature adjustments through a digital LCD display outside.
Dual-Zone Wine Coolers
3. KOLDFRONT 18 FREESTANDING COOLER
- The setting up and operations are very easy. The controls and temperature display are displayed in large fonts making them readable to everyone.
- The price is another attractive feature. It includes almost all the function and features offered by any high-end model. It is practical, reliable and offers a good value for money
- People with mischievous young ones can breathe a sigh of relief. This model includes a lock to keep your wine bottles protected.
- The exterior is very classy and will suit a bar, kitchen or dining space of a modern home.
- The shelves are very close and you need to be carefully while stacking it with wine bottles. Since the shelves are extremely close it is not ideal for storing bigger or any odd shaped bottles.
- Comparatively this cooler needs more space for storing
Along with featuring a beautiful stainless steel exterior it also prides in offering the best features one can expect from a wine cooler. From low-noise cooling system to slide-out wooden shelves, the cooler is one of a kind. Other features include a user-friendly control panel, LED lighting and dual temperature zones.
4. WHYNTER WC-241DS FREESTANDING COOLER
- It is the most affordable model from Whynter
- The cooler is power-efficient, it uses very less power
- The components are durable
- The internal fan keeps an even air-circulation and an even temperature throughout the cabinet
- It comes with a one year warranty
- It produces a low humming sound. You can also hear an occasional whirring and clicking
Whynter wine coolers have a lot of positive reviews online. This brand produces some of the best wine coolers that boasts of efficiency and quality. The Whynter WC-241DS is no exception. An air tight divider plus seal keeps the temperature of each zone consistent and separate. The design, protective tempered glass, storage space and insulation are all spot on. If you want a cooler that does a great job and looks great then this is the right one for you.
5. WINE ENTHUSIAST SILENT 2-TEMP
- It’s energy-efficient, CFC- free and thermoelectric. Thermoelectric means it does not have a compressor and refrigerant like traditional fridges. It has a cooling node which allows it to cool the wine without making any noise.
- It has a digital touchscreen – the exterior touchscreen lets you control the temperature with ease
- It has seven pull-out chrome shelves. You can keep the bottles well organised
- The interior LED lighting ensure optimum visibility
- It comes with an automatic defrost feature
- Like any free-standing wine cooler this model too tends to take up a lot of space
- It has 32 bottles capacity. But this works only if you use standard bottles. Wine bottles of bigger size may not fit in
- Though it is a thermoelectric wine cooler it makes a humming noise
This wine fridge gives you the space to cool both red and white wines. It features a silent cooling technology. This means the sediments in the wines are not disturbed neither will it hamper the ambience in your space. In short, this is a basic wine cooler which looks elegant and keeps your wines chilled effortlessly.
Built-In Wine Coolers
6. EDGESTAR 18-BOTTLE
- It has an in-built carbon filter which clears out any unpleasant stench and keeps the interior fresh
- Has a UV protection glass door which keeps the wine fresh and unaltered.
- The black stainless steel is pleasant on the eyes. The ultra-slim modern design is worth every penny
- It is portable and has frost free options
- Has blue LED temperature display and digital controls
- Offers a noise-free operation
- Is power efficient and delivers remarkable performance
- You need to assemble it
The EdgeStar wine cooler is slim. It takes up less space in a kitchen or a bar. You can store three bottles per shelf. Since it has a compact design you can easily set it up under almost any countertop. This wine fridge has a slew of features such as – a powerful circulation fan, a built-in carbon filter and a UV protection glass door.
7. KALAMERA 30-BOTTLE
- It easy to use and handle. Though it requires assembling it comes with a few parts which makes assembling a child’s play. It includes a manual that offers a detailed explanation on easy installation and operation.
- The temperature display and control settings are displayed in sizable fonts making them readable
- A great customer service as commented by users on various retailing websites
- Durable and efficient components
- The cost is low. But the company has not compromised on the quality and the looks. The design and display make it look very much premium
- Though advertised as a 30 bottle wine cooler it takes a little more than coaxing to store all of them. This becomes tedious when you are trying to get in larger bottles. But since the shelves are removable you can rearrange them and make an efficient use of the space
- There is a temperature disparity of about 7 degrees as commented by some of the users. But this is not a big difference and can be ignored.
Let’s get right to the features, shall we? A compact design that takes up little space, beech wood shelves that can be pulled-out, a stainless steel encasement and a powerful air circulation system to keep the wines evenly chilled at the right temperature. Along with all of these features it also has LED temperature displays and a wide range of temperature settings for chilling different kinds of wines.
8. NEWAIR AWR-290DB COMPACT 29-BOTTLE
- It has an attractive and elegant design and exterior
- The Blue LED brightness settings. It can also be turned off
- Suitable for chilling all kinds of wines
- Does not create any vibrations so it does not stir up the wine sediments
- Keeps the temperature constant
- Beech wood shelves slide out easily
- Features adjustable feet to level the wine cooler
- You can reverse the way the door opens
- The shelves at the top and bottom are very spacious
- Includes a lock feature
The dual temperature zones are fit for different wine types. This built-in cooler is stylish and chills your wines perfectly. It has pull-out beech shelves, a touch control panel, powerful fan for excellent air circulation inside the cabinet and a LCD temperature display. These are new features incorporated by NewAir.
Big Wine Coolers
9. NewAir AWR-1160DB Premier Gold Series
- It speaks style in volumes. You will be surprised by the gold interior which gives an instant feel of luxury and class
- The compressor cooling technology is extremely powerful. It offers temperatures ranging from 40 to 66 degree Fahrenheit.
- You can set the temperatures at the blink of an eye. The Push buttons are smooth and the display is digital
- The 15 beech-wood shelves glide smoothly. You can load and unload the wine bottles without damaging them or without exerting a lot of pressure
- The door is made from triple layered glass which has a smoke tint. Along with making it look luxurious the glass doors also protects the wine bottles from UV rays
- The storage capacity drops done if you are using bigger bottles such as Burgundy bottles or champagne bottles
- The unit is not as silent as the other models that work on thermometric technology.
The NewAir AWR-1160DB is a big fella! This is the best and the most modern wine cooler from NewAir. You won’t get a further upgrade from here (at least for the time being). The 15 long shelves that are integrated in this cooler holds up to 11 bottles on each shelf. The highly functional control panel is easy to use. It comes with four different temperature settings.
10. AllavinoFlexCount 172-Bottle
- It has a sturdy and strong rack to hold 172 bottles
- It has separate racks for holding larger bottles
- The shelves are fixed in such a way that they don’t bump into the other bottles laced underneath
- Offers a spacious storage
- The controls are user-friendly with readable display screens
- Includes two handles with unique designs
- Illuminates the interior with blue interior lighting
- It is durable and strong
- Has an incredibly luxurious design
- Can be set up as a built-in unit or a freestanding unit
- Displayed temperatures differ from the real temperature. But this is only by a few degrees
- You cannot adjust the racks
This is a double-wide dual-zone wine cooler. The controls are user-friendly and makes it very easy for anyone to set the temperatures. Each zone comes with its set of controls. It has two display screens through which you can monitor each zone with ease and precision. The AllavinoFlexCount 172-Bottle is a strong and sturdy wine chiller. It’s heavy which is understandable since it has to withstand the weight of 172 bottles of wine at a time.