- How Do Toaster Ovens Work
- How To Clean Your Toaster Oven
- Top Portable Ovens – Best Portable Electric Oven
How Do Toaster Ovens Work
The toaster oven has become one of the most popular kitchen appliances. Compared to traditional ovens, it can heat up pretty quickly, which makes it ideal for fast cooking.
This simple appliance can help you to prepare different cuisines. You can use it to prepare breakfast, toast, bake, broil, warm and reheat foods. There are some ovens which can also work as an air fryer.
However, have you ever wondered how this single appliance could perform all these functions? In order to understand this, you need to know how toaster ovens work.
Once you understand the working and mechanics of a toaster oven, you can easily fix and repair basic problems. It will help you to troubleshoot the defective components and fix new ones.
Toaster Oven vs Microwave vs Standard Oven:
Before you learn how a toaster oven works, you need to understand the difference between these three appliances. Many people get confused when it comes to these three kitchen products. However, they are differences between the three.
- Microwave Oven: This type of oven works on microwaves. In order to heat and cook the food, it uses the water content in the item. It turns some amount of water into steam, thereby heating the food with it. The biggest advantage of using a microwave is that you can heat food in just a few seconds. On the downside, it takes up the water content, which affects the taste as well as the texture of the food.
- Standard Oven: These are the traditional large-sized oven. Most of the people who can afford big houses built this oven in the kitchen. It is built inside a cabinet. It works by using the heating elements at the bottom of the oven. As it is a large oven, you can easily cook food for more people. However, it consumes a lot of time and energy. It will also heat up the kitchen space.
- Toaster Oven: It is a compact version of a standard oven. You can easily move this oven from one place to another. There are two main types of toaster ovens available in the market, i.e. conventional oven and convection oven. You will get many functions which this oven which makes cooking easy. On top of that, you can cook food in fairly less time. It doesn’t take much time of the oven to heat. It helps to save your time as well as energy.
How Conventional Toaster Oven Works?
This is the most common type of toaster oven. Most of the old models work on this technology. The working mechanism of this oven is similar to that of a standard oven.
This type of oven has all these mechanical elements, which makes it work. You will find a circuitry, cooling fan, selector switch; bake element, broil element, and a thermostat.
- Bottom Heating Element: The bake element is at the bottom of the oven. When you turn the selector switch to bake, this element starts functioning. It is controlled by a thermostat. You can set the temperature, and thermostat will work accordingly. With the bake and toast function, the bottom of the oven heats up to warm the interior of the oven. Along with that top element of the oven also start heating up. However, it only spreads a short burst of heat. It doesn’t heat up continuously like the bottom element. It is done so that the interior of the oven warms up and bakes the food evenly. In some types of the oven, only the bottom element starts heating up when you choose bake of toast function.
- Top Heating Element: When you choose the broil function, it activates the top heating elements of the oven. There are some ovens with dual elements. So when you choose to broil, both the top elements starts to heat up. It gives double strength and helps you to cook food quickly.
- Cooling Fan: Along with all heating elements, the cooling fan also starts working. It is located on the outer top side of the oven. There is a thermostat with the fan, which helps to control the temperature. This fan works by blowing excess of heat out so that the inside doesn’t get too hot.
- Selector Switch: On the outside, you will also see a selector switch. It helps you to select the different functions of the oven. You can turn the switch either to bake, broil or toast.
How Convection Toaster Oven Works?
This is one of the most popular types of the toaster oven. Nowadays, most of people use convection based toaster ovens. It is different from traditional conventional toaster ovens. In this type of oven, there is a fan as well as an exhaust system.
This type of oven is known for cooking food more quickly and evenly. The exhaust system helps to spread hot air evenly in the oven. Because of this, you get
- Bottom Heating Element: On the bottom of the oven, there is a bake element. When you choose the baking or toasting function of the oven, this element starts to heat up.
- Top Heating Element: It is also known as the broil element. When you choose the broil function, the top elements start heating. It helps the entire oven to heat and the food to cook.
- Thermostat: There is a thermostat inside the oven, which controls the temperature. It helps to control both, top as well as bottom heating elements.
- Cooling Fan: This fan is located on the top. It helps to maintain the cool temperature in the oven by blowing out hot air.
- Back Wall Heating Element and Fan: In this type of oven, you will find another heating element as well as a fan at the back wall of the oven. When you choose convection bake, bake or roast function, all the three heating elements start working. It helps to spread heat evenly in the oven. You will get evenly cooked food with this type of oven. The fan spreads the air all around the oven, thereby helping you to cook food quickly.
- Selector Switch and Timer: There is a selector switch which helps you to select the cooking programs. You can also use the timer to set the cooking time.
This is how a toaster oven works. Once you understand how each type of oven works, you can easily handle simple repairs.