Summers are the best time of the year. Why? Well because it is during this season that we can get our hands on delicious fruits and vegetables. We are very much aware of the manifold health benefits of fruits and vegetables. But what if you are short on time? What if your kids don’t like fruits and vegetables? The solution to these problems is a juicer! Wouldn’t it be nice to have the best affordable juicer sitting on your countertop?
Juicer is one of the many essential appliances you need to have. You can make your favorite juices and mocktails not only for yourself but for your family and friends as well. And you also don’t have to go all the way to the juice bars and spend a ridiculous amount of money for a glass of your favorite juice if you have a juicer at home.
For somebody who enjoys having juice daily, a juicer is a great investment. But before getting one you need to make sure that you buy the model which is right for you. After all, you need an appliance that you would actually use instead of letting it just sit there and gather dust.
You’ll also like:
Every juicer comes with its set of unique features. Sometimes you need to pay extra for some of the features. You don’t need a lot. Here are some of the basic things you need to consider before investing in a juicer –
- Power – Different juicers have different power. If you want to get the juicing done instantly you will need to purchase a juicer with good power. A powerful motor also makes sure that the fruits and vegetables are juiced well.
- Ease of use – You don’t want to buy an appliance that requires you to go through the user manual every time you use it. The juicer should be easy to use, easy to clean, and easy to store.
- Performance – An efficient juicer makes sure that it extracts all the juice leaving behind the dry pulp. You need to stay away from juicers that heat up. This is because the heat destroys the nutrients and enzymes in the juice.
- Affordability – A cup of juice shouldn’t cost you an arm and a leg. For domestic use, you needn’t invest in a premium quality model. There are several good options available in the budget category.
There are different kinds of juicers available in the market. Each type has a prominent quality that caters to a specific need. Here is a look at the four main types of juicers.
The Four Main Types of Juicers – The Best Kinds of Juicers Reviewed
I know. I know. All juicers can be used for citrus fruits. But here is the thing. What if you are somebody who mostly drinks citrus juice? Then would it make any sense to invest in an expensive juicer when you can get a citrus juicer for half the price? Citrus juicers are also sold as Citrus Press or OJ juicer. This is a basic manual juicer which can be bought for around $20 – $30.
Pros and Cons of Citrus Juicers
- It is easy to use
- There are many models available in the budget range
- Easier to clean
- The compact design allows for easy portability and storage
- Can work only with citrus fruits
- Not suitable for making huge quantities of juice
Here is how the centrifugal juicers work – the sharp blades on the juicer moves at great speed to chop up the vegetables and fruits. The chunks of fruits and vegetables then pass through mesh filters to separate the pulp and the liquid. These juicers are the most popular types in the market. Due to its great demand centrifugal juicers are sold by a lot of popular brands. After the citrus juicer, this is the next affordable option.
Pros and Cons of Centrifugal Juicers
- It is fast, powerful and quick
- It offers many affordable models
- It works with most types of vegetables and fruits
- Some vegetables such as the leafy varieties such as herbs and wheatgrass don’t juice well
- Compared to the press model, the centrifugal models produce less juice leaving behind a wet pulp
- Centrifugal models tend to heat up. This kills some of the nutrients in the juice
- Takes time to clean
- The units are typically bulky. This means it will take up space which makes storage a problem especially if you have a small kitchen
- Some of the models produce a lot of noise
Masticating juicers are similar to cold press juicers in the sense they both crush the fruits and vegetables to extract the juice from them. The only difference is that there is no actual press in masticating juicers. This type of juicer is very slow compared to the centrifugal models. However, it extracts most of the juice and the juice stays fresh for a longer time. Another great feature is that these juicers can also be used to crush nuts to make butter or to make baby food.
Pros and Cons of Masticating Juicers
- Juice extracted with a masticating juicer stays fresh for longer time
- Most models are quiet. You can make juice without waking up the entire neighbourhood.
- You get more nutrients
- You get more juice leaving behind only dry pulp
- Can juice all fruits and vegetables including leafy greens such as wheatgrass
- Takes a longer time to juice
- These models are expensive than the citrus juicers and the centrifugal types
- Cleaning and using the juicer takes more time and effort
- Units are big. It takes up more space for storage
The Twin Gear models are the more advanced types. They cost more than all the other types and is popular among health enthusiasts. The reason being, these models extract the maximum juice and nutrients. The fruits and vegetables get crushed between two gears that interlock each other. These work at a pace slower than that of the masticating models.
Pros and Cons of Twin-Gear Juicers
- You get fresh and nutrient rich juice
- The juice stays fresh for a long time
- Produces a huge amount of juice compared to all the other models mentioned above
- It is a multi-tasker. You can also use it to make pasta and bread.
- These are the most expensive among the different types of juicers
- There are difficult to clean due to the complicated design
- Takes a lot of time to extract juice
- It is large and heavy. So portability is out of the question. Takes up more counter space and storage is difficult.
- Too strong for the soft citrus fruits
The market is filled with different types of juicers from prominent brands. We did a market study to find out which models deliver what they promise. The best juicers reviewed here will help you get a clear insight on what each brand and each product offers. Here are the 10 top affordable juicers which are currently popular in the market.
Cuisinart CCJ-500 Pulp Control (Citrus Juicer)
- It features a stainless body
- The juicer is available in a number of vibrant colors
- The parts are dishwasher-friendly
- The package includes a recipe booklet
- It has a pulp-control feature
- It is BPA free
- It is a bit loud
- If you have a big family this is not for you
This citrus juicer has a pretty simple design. It is small and sleek. It weighs only around 2 pounds which makes it easy to use and handle. This juicer can be used to juice any citrus fruits such as limes, grapefruits, oranges and lemons.
Gourmia GJ750 Wide Mouth Fruit (Centrifugal Juicer)
- It includes a recipe book. Newcomers might find this handy
- It is not noisy
- You can clean it easily
- It juices most of the fruits and vegetables even with the rind on
- May not work efficiently with leafy greens
If you are new to the juicing world this is for you. The Gourmia GJ750 is affordable and at the same time it is very simple to use. You can use it to juice carrots, apples and many more fruits and vegetables with ease. If you are particular about having a healthy glass of juice every day then don’t think twice this is the best option for you.
Breville RM-JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus 850-Watt (Centrifugal Juicer)
- It is fast and powerful
- Includes a cleaning brush
- Even though it is powerful the appliance generates very less heat
- It has an attractive design and is easy to operate
The features of the Breville RM – JE98XL juicer are designed keeping in mind performance and convenience. It has dual speed option and comes with a motor power of 850 watts. Which means you can grind both the soft and hard fruits and vegetables with it. It is so powerful that you can even juice a pineapple with its rind on.
KOIOS Slow Masticating Juicer with Reverse Function (Masticating Juicer)
- Can juice most of the vegetables and fruits
- The PEI auger feature reduces oxidation even when it is working at a speed of 80 RPM
- Less noisy. Runs at 60 decibels
- The motor has a 10 year warranty
- It is a little bit heavier than other models from the same category
The KOIOS juicer is worth every penny. It is astonishingly affordable and performance wise it is incredible. The two main features of this juicer are – it is BPA-free and secondly its PEI auger. The plastic body looks very classy and at the same time it is very easy to clean. The stains come off easily when you wash it with warm soapy water. It successfully juices most of the fruits and vegetables such as carrots, apples, ginger and many more.
BLACK+DECKER JE2200B 400-Watt Fruit and Vegetable Juice Extractor (Centrifugal Juicer)
- Features a sleek and compact design
- Easy to assemble and disassemble. Can be cleaned easily
- It is very simple to operate. Even kids can run it.
- The parts are dishwasher safe
- It is affordable
- Great for juicing soft produce
- The rubberized feet prevent skidding
- Has a 2-year warranty
- Includes a large pulp bin
- Includes a cord storage space
- You have to chop the fruits and vegetables. So prep time is longer
- Not suitable for hard produce
- It is noisy
- At a time you can extract only two cups of juice
- Not suitable for leafy produce
- It is not BPA free
The JE2200B juicer from Black Decker is pretty competent for the price. This is a basic model and is fit to be your first juicer. The model is a breath of fresh air in the sophisticated world of centrifugal and masticating juicers. The JE2200B is easy to operate and is very simple and straightforward. Did we forget to mention that it is also affordable? It makes a great gift for elders.
Omega TWN30S–twin Gear juicer
- Attractive price
- A 2 Hp motor
- Extraction is great
- Works for both soft and hard produce
- When running at higher speeds it tends to reduce juice quality
Twin Gear juicers are usually very expensive. But this is the most affordable model in the twin gear juicer category. Omega owns the top selling single-gear juicers. The twin gears have inherited all the best features from its single gear predecessors. The Omega TWN30S is retailed at less than $400. It out-performs all the other models in this price range. A great investment to make for a healthier you.
Samson Green Power KPE1304 (Twin Gear Juicer)
- Works quietly
- Uses Bio-ceramic and Magnetic technology
- Powerful motor
- Comes with cleaning accessories
The Samson Green Power KPE1304 is also budget-friendly. The performance of this machine is, however, on par with that of any high-end models. The most notable feature of this model is its noise-free operation.
Hamilton Beach 67801 Health Smart Juice Extractor (Masticating)
- Sleek and compact design
- Pulp collection is external
- The juicing process is fast
- The parts are dishwasher friendly
- Not Noise-free
- Not BPA free
- The feeding chute is small compared to that of other fast juicers
Hamilton Beach Health Smart Juicer is budget-friendly. The exterior is made with plastic. The blades and strainer are however made out of stainless steel. The use of plastic is what makes it less expensive. The juicer features a 400 – watt motor which lets you juice any kind of fruits and vegetables. But it does not include pulp bin. You will have to get a separate juice collector.
Jack LaLanne’s PJEW Power Juicer Express (Centrifugal)
- It extracts juice really fast
- It works noise-free
- The design is compact. Takes up less counter space
- It is easy to work with
- It does not include a cup dispenser
- Not ideal for juicing green and soft produce
- It takes some time to get it to the lock mode
- Customer reviews reveal that the juicer gets broken easily
This powerful centrifugal juicer is known to extract maximum juice and leave behind a very dry pulp. It features a 3600 rpm motor. Only a few other models in the market can compete with the efficiency and performance of this power juicer.
O-Breko Slow Masticating Juicer
- It extracts juice at a slow speed of 65 rpm. Thus you end up with more juice and very little pulp
- The reverse function feature prevents clogging
- It works quietly
- Easy to operate
- Easy to clean and store
- It is FDA and ETL certified
- The juicer cannot be used for more than 15 minutes at a stretch
- The machine will not start if the safety lock is not properly set
- The fruits and vegetables need to be chopped well before juicing
- The seeds and pits need to be removed before putting them into the juicer
- The machine might get damaged if it runs for longer duration at a stretch
- Cannot add frozen produce into it
It features all the necessary qualities of a masticating juicer and hence it made it to our list. Since it runs slow you can extract more nutrients and enzymes. Once you taste the juice you will see the difference in quality. The slow speed also ensures that the juice doesn’t get oxidized. It makes less foam and you can prevent clogging by using the reverse function on the juicer.
Heavy food can wear us out but there is always space for healthy and delicious juices in our tummies. The juicing trend has existed from very early on but the trend has seen immense popularity over a few recent years. If you think getting a juicer will do you good then it’s time to set your priorities straight.
Deciding on the factors that work for you will help you a great deal in getting the best affordable juicer from the best juicers reviewed here. And what we have noticed is that no matter what kind of juicer one uses the juice always tastes good